EMV Debit MasterCard®
A New Level of Security at Your Fingertips
Our new EMV Debit MasterCards® generate a unique code that is validated by Bay State Savings Bank for each transaction, and the code cannot be re-used. A fraudster couldn't make a transaction using a fake card with stolen data at an EMV terminal because it wouldn't be able to generate the proper code.
If a store or restaurant has its payment information hacked, that information cannot be used to make additional purchases or create new debit cards. With EMV chip cards, each transaction is approved using a unique authentication code, and that code can't be used again. Further, the microprocessor chips are virtually impossible to duplicate.
How do I use my new EMV Debit MasterCard®?
- You have a chip, so now, you can dip! That is, you now have the ability to use the chip, but you might find yourself swiping for a few more months (or longer) while retailers upgrade payment terminals. Chip cards will contain chips and magnetic stripes to allow them to be read either way.
- Instead of swiping your card through a device that reads the magnetic stripe, you'll be able to insert (or "dip") the card into chip-enabled readers. You'll know it's available if card readers show a message like "your card must be inserted."
- To make a purchase in-person, insert the card chip-first with the chip facing up. Follow the onscreen prompts to complete your transaction, and then remove the card. The process is slower than the quick swipes you've grown accustomed to because the chip and terminal exchange information.
- Phone and internet purchases will work the same way they did with your old card: provide your card number, security code, and any other details required.
- If the merchant doesn't allow you to enter your PIN, you will not be able to request cash back.
Lost or Stolen Card?
If your EMV Debit MasterCard® has been lost or stolen please call (800) 264-5578. By calling this number, you will be able to cancel the missing card and order a replacement.
What is MasterCard Secure Code®?
In addition to our other ways of preventing, detecting, and resolving fraud, we offer MasterCard Secure Code®, a FREE, simple-to-use service that confirms your identity with an extra password when you make an online transaction. Only you can sign the receipt, thus ensuring a safe online shopping experience! Register for the MasterCard Secure Code® service.
For more information on EMV Chip Technology, please visit our FAQ page.
Interested in EMV Debit MasterCard® Services?
Speak with any of our branch representatives and they will be more than happy to assist you.
*Notice regarding fees by others: If you use an ATM that is not operated by us, you may be charged a fee by the operator of the machine and/or by an automated transfer network.
Please refer to the Bay State Savings Bank Retail Fee Schedule for current fees and charges.